Where and how do I file for divorce in Washington State?

To file for divorce in Washington State, you must file a Summons and a Petition for Dissolution of Marriage with the clerk of the superior court in one of Washington State's superior courts and serve copies of these papers on the other spouse.


Forms and instructions are located on the Washington Courts Web site, Court Forms/Court Forms: Dissolution (Divorce) page.  At the top of the forms page is a link to General Information and Instructions about Ending Your Marriage, which goes to the Dissolution of Marriage (Divorce) page of the Washington LawHelp Web site.  The Washington LawHelp site has further links to general information, which has answers to frequently asked questions, in addition to information about divorcing with children.


You can find the location and phone numbers of each of Washington's superior courts on the Washington Courts Web site, Court Directory page. 


If this did not answer your question or if you have a suggestion, please email: info@courts.wa.gov .  You will receive a response by e-mail.

RN ID 993