I paid my FTA fine in Washington, now how do I get my Washington drivers license reinstated?

The court will enter your fine payment and electronically send the Department of Licensing (DOL) notification that your FTA (Failure to Appear) has been cleared. This process is USUALLY completed within two business days, so you should be able to go to the DOL on the third business day to reinstate your license.  It would be a good idea to telephone the DOL beforehand to make sure they have received notification of your FTA adjudication from the court.

NOTE: DOL determines when your driving privileges (license) will be suspended or revoked, as well as when they will be cleared or reinstated. DOL assesses and collects license reinstatement fees. It is recommended that you contact DOL to confirm that your driving privileges have been cleared or reinstated, prior to driving. Driving a motor vehicle prior to DOL reinstating your driving privileges could result in additional violations of state and local laws.

For questions about drivers license reinstatement or fees, contact the DOL. The URL for the Drivers License page of the Washington State DOL Web site is: http://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/. From this page, you can access links for suspended license, fees, and also a contact us link at the bottom of the page.

If you want or need to reinstate your license on the same day you pay your FTA fine at the court, you can obtain a form (Adjudication Slip) from the court that shows your fine has been paid and the FTA can be removed.  If you plan to take the form into DOL, be sure to visit the court early enough in the day to allow time for you to get to the DOL with the Adjudication Slip from the court well before the end of the day.

See the Vehicle/Vessel Licensing Offices page or the Drivers Licensing Office Locations page of the DOL Web site for a licensing office near you.

If you have other questions, you should contact the court where your case is filed.  For a listing of court phone numbers, 

e-mail and street addresses, please see the Washington Court Directory page of the Washington Courts Web site.

RN id: 6

Published 04/22/2003 12:50 PM