I learned that a judgment has been filed against me and has shown up on my credit report. How can I find out more about the judgment?

You will need to contact the company that provided the credit report. The contact information for this company should be on the report you received.

The credit report should list the name of the court in which the judgment was obtained and either the name of the case in which the judgment was obtained and/or the case number.  If you contact the court clerk's office, you can request a copy of the judgment and the other documents in the court file (there will be a charge for copying and mailing the documents to you.)

These documents will tell you the name, address, and telephone number of the creditor who obtained the judgment against you and the basis for the judgment.  The basis of the judgment is the reason the creditor gave to the court for why you owe money to the creditor (such as breach of contract, past-due rent, accident damages, or some other reason.) If you wish to dispute the judgment, you should contact a lawyer for legal advice.

If you do not have your credit report, you can request a free credit report for yourself on the AnnualCreditReport.com Web site, which is sponsored by the following three nationwide credit reporting companies: Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion.

See also: Service Answer ID 795 Legal Questions.

RN id: 1037