I am looking for a relative who was placed for adoption.  How do I begin my search?

The Adoption page of the Washington Courts Web site provides links to adoption-related information from the Washington State Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS).  One of these links is to the Adoption Records Search page of the DSHS Web site which contains information on searching for children who have been adopted through the DSHS as well as links to other information.

For private adoptions, the DSHS advises you to contact the agency that facilitated the adoption.

Additionally, there are Web sites that specialize in searching for people.  Some of these services are free, others require a fee.  To find such Web sites, use a search engine (such as www.google.comwww.webcrawler.com, www.yahoo.com, etc.) and search on such phrases as:

  • people search
  • people find
  • white pages
  • name of person in quotes, for example, "sally jones"

The search results will include links to Web sites that contain the name or specialize in searching for people. 

RN id: 1246