How can I petition for guardianship if I cannot afford an attorney?

If you cannot afford an attorney, you may represent yourself in a guardianship proceeding.

The following counties have model forms that can be used to petition for guardianship of a vulnerable adult. [Select the link for the appropriate county].

King County:

Pierce County:

Snohomish County:

Spokane County:

If the person believed to need a guardian does not live in King, Pierce, Snohomish or Spokane County, you may be allowed to modify the forms used in these counties. Ask the county clerk in the county where the person lives if you may modify forms used in another county. Once the guardianship is established, there are pattern forms available at:

If you are low income and need help with a non-criminal legal problem, you may qualify for free legal services through CLEAR at 1-888-201-1012. The hotline 888-201-1014 is open Monday through Friday 9:15 a.m. - 12:15 p.m. Seniors (age 60 and over) may call CLEAR*Sr at 1-888-387-7111 (statewide).Deaf, hard of hearing or speech impaired callers can call CLEAR or 211 (1-877-211-9274).

Other helpful web sites are the Northwest Justice Project at , ,  and

To learn more about the guardianship process please read state law pertaining to guardianship at and review a summary provided by the Office of Public Guardianship at 20Guardianship/Guardian%20Process.pdf .

RN id: 2120